I love searching for protein bar recipes online, but I always end up adding way too many of my own touches to the recipes, so that in the end they are basically new recipes. However, credit goes to who deserves it. Inspired by blogger Maddie Lymburner and all the health benefits of hemp, I created these delicious vegan high protein hemp cashew oat bars.
Vegan High-Protein Hemp Cashew Oat Bars
- 1 cup Oats
- 1/2 cup Hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup Cashew butter
- 1 Apple
- 8 Dates that have been soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Water used to soak the dates
- 1/2 cup Optional: Plant protein powder of your choice
- Optional: Dark chocolate for the glazing
- Optional: Hemp and/or sesame seeds for decorate
1. Mix all the dry ingredients for a few seconds in a food processor.
2. Cut the apple into quarters and add to the processor.
3. Add the dates, the cashew butter (can also be another nut butter) and about 1/3 cup of the date water, i.e. the water used to soak the dates. The whole point of the date water is that it will add some natural sweetness to the recipe, but you can also use regular water.
4. Mix all the ingredients. If the mixture is still too dry and not sticking enough or if you choose to add plant protein powder, you might have to add a bit more water.
5. Pour the mixture into a non-stick baking tray or a tray lined with baking paper. Ideally, the “dough” will be about 1/2 inch thick. Place the baking tray in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
6. If you choose to cover the bars with dark chocolate, which I highly recommend, melt the dark chocolate via a water bath or in the microwave (add a bit of water if melting in the microwave), and pour over the granola bars. Sprinkle some hemp or sesame seeds on top.
7. Place back in the freezer for about 30 minutes and then cut into squares. Enjoy these snacks and don’t be greedy: share them!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Tatiana von Rheinbaben