Now that the weather’s starting to cool down a bit, I’m starting to get the urge to hop into the kitchen to cook or bake something that will instantly warm up my home. I recently woke up one morning in the mood for baking something sweet, so of course, pancakes for breakfast sounded like the perfect meal to go with.
I’ve been experimenting with different batter mixes to try to get the perfect consistency where the pancakes come out fluffy and not too dry. What adds to the challenge is making them vegan and gluten-free so that I can also enjoy them. So, I was beyond thrilled when I saw how fluffy and moist these blueberry banana pancakes came out, and even happier when my I saw how much my family loved them as well. My son, who lately rates my meals from 1 to 5 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best) gave these pancakes a surprising 5-star rating and said they’re the best pancakes I’ve made so far. No doubt, this recipe will be on my top list of favorites for many years to come.
Vegan Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 flax egg
- 3/4 cup organic unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar syrup
1. In a small bowl, place 1 tbsp flax seed meal and 3 tbsp of water, whisk, and let rest to create a “flax egg.”
2. Put all dry ingredients (GF flour, baking powder) in a separate bowl, and wet ingredients (water, coconut milk, mashed banana, flax egg) in a large bowl, except for agave syrup and butter.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients along with blueberries and banana.
4. Set flat pan to low heat setting. Grease with 1/4-1/2 tsp. vegan butter.
5. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto pan immediately after greasing.
6. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
7. Drizzle agave syrup on top. Optional: warm up syrup before serving.
Photo: Cristina Nidome