In Hungary we really love cabbage/sauerkraut (naturally fermented cabbage). We pickle it, we stuff it and we make soups and salads from it. It’s one of the basic winter foods because it’s rich in nutrients, has many health benefits especially for the digestive system and it’s quite cheap.
If you want an easy, quick and nutritious recipe this is the one for you. Korhely soup is also knows as hangover soup.
Vegan Korhely Soup
- 400 g sauerkraut
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 carrot
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 big tablespoon ground paprika
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- to taste white pepper
- to taste salt
- 1.5 l veggie broth
1. Preparation only take time because you have to shred the sauerkraut, let it rest, and drain the juice. Slice the carrots and onions as well.
2. Once you’re done preparing heat the oil in a big pot and sauté the chopped onions slightly.
3. Remove from the heat then add the ground paprika. It burns easily so don’t forget to turn off the heat, otherwise your soup is going to taste bitter.
4. Combine the mix then pour a little veggie broth on top and it can go back on the heat. Bring it to a boil then add the saurkraut, bay leaves, white pepper and cumin.
5. Stir it well then add the rest of the veggie broth to the soup. Cook it for around 20 minutes.
6. If you like you can top it with vegan sour cream.
It’s also very nice with vegan sausage, especially with a smoked flavor. Then you should add the half of the sausage while cooking and the rest later because the sausage will most likely split.
If you like it more spicy add chili to the soup.
Photo: Imola Toth