This past Saturday, I woke up really wanting to bake scones. It’s probably been a year since I’ve had a scone, but they used to be a usual treat for me when I was in college. The library café sold these huge blueberry scones—the perfect companion for my coffee…and essay assignments.
These are a gluten-free, vegan version of those, and I’m willing to bet that they’re a good deal healthier and more energy-sustaining than the variety I enjoyed as an undergraduate.
Enjoy these gluten-free blueberry scones during weekend brunch or during your Netflix binge (we won’t tell!).
Vegan Dessert Recipes: Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup stevia baking blend (or powdered sweetener of your choice)
- 1/3 cup almond slivers
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (almond flour, chickpea flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, stevia, almond slivers, shredded coconut).
3. In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (almond milk, vanilla extract, coconut oil).
4. Pour the wet ingredient mixture over the dry ingredients. Mix well. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. Place the heap of dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Press the dough into a large circle, no more than 2-3 inches thick.
6. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges of the loaf are gold-brown. When it looks like the scone loaf is done baking, stick a knife into the center. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go. If it comes out with dough sticking to it, bake the loaf for another 3-5 minutes, or until the knife comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Once the loaf has had a chance to cool, use a pizza cutter to slice the loaf into 8, triangle-shaped pieces. Serve and enjoy!
More gluten free vegan desserts: Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Photos: Mary Hood