When it gets hot out, what I really crave is cooling foods, especially kimchi. You might be wondering, isn’t kimchi spicy and therefore warming? But there is nothing so crunchy, cooling, and energizing as cold kimchi from the fridge (think pickles). Kimchi is also the perfect detox summer food: full of fiber and probiotics, it’s filling and slimming at the same time.
With that in mind, I set out to create a raw vegan summer bibimbap. And let me tell you, it was so incredibly delicious. The fresh flavors of raw asparagus, carrots, creamy avocado and sour kimchi mix perfectly with sesame-gochujang sauce, to create an amazing umami taste. I don’t always need to eat so little grains, but raw cauli rice feels just so right for this weather–refreshing yet substantial.
If you’re not crazy about busting out $7 for a tub of gochujang that you will only use for this recipe, go ahead and just do it: you’ll make this hopefully all the time this summer (I plan on it!). 🙂
Raw Vegan Summer Bibimbap
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 8-10 asparagus spears, sliced thinly
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- to taste toasted sesame seeds or gomashio
- to taste nutritional yeast
1. Roughly chop the cauliflower into chunks. Use a blender or food processor and pulse a few times until rice-like consistency is achieved. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil and gochujang with a fork. Add splashes of water until desired consistency. I like mine to be a saucy consistency (rather than pasty).
3. To serve: scoop cauli rice and place into a bowl. Arrange asparagus, carrots, kimchi, and avocado on top. Add gochujang dressing on top and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and gomashio. (Nutritional yeast isn’t Korean but works soooo well here). Mix all together and eat, eat eat! 🙂
*Tip: Add just a little sauce first and then mix together. Do a taste test and add more to your preference. If you like things spicier, you can always add more later.
Related recipes: Traditional Vegan Bibimbap
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling