We’ve had constant rain for the last eight days, and the downpour has given us a slight break in the heat. It was, of course, the perfect occasion to make a warm, cozy beverage. Unless I’m making classic coffee, I love to experiment with the ingredients–and colors!–of my lattes. This Beautifying Blue Vegan Collagen Latter is no exception.
The stunning hue comes from butterfly pea flowers, a potent but mild-tasting herb that fights oxidation and glycation and helps mitigate inflammation thanks to the presence of anthocyanins and quercetin. In short, it helps protect your skin from damage from the inside-out. It’s naturally caffeine-free and has such a subtle earthy taste. I purchased my butterfly pea flower tea from Edible Beauty, but it’s also available elsewhere online.
Next, I used a vegan collagen powder. (We at Peaceful Dumpling aren’t shy about our love for plant-based collagen-boosting goodness!) Fortunately for us, there is an increasing number of vegan collagen powders on the market. Options include Anima Mundi Plant-Based Collagen and Edible Beauty Native Beauty Plant-Based Collagen. The powder adds a pleasant creaminess to the latte.
Sip & Enjoy!
Beautifying Blue Vegan Collagen Latte
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon dried butterfly pea flowers
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nut milk (of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon vegan collagen powder
- liquid sweetener of your choice to taste (optional)
1. Boil 1/2 cup water. Pour over butterfly pea flowers. Allow to steep for at least five minutes.
2. Warm 1/2 cup vegan milk in a small pot on the stove over medium heat.
3. Pour half of your vegan milk into a milk frother* and reserve the other half in the pot. Froth your milk in the frother.
4. Whisk plant-based collagen powder into the milk on the stove.
5. Add collagen milk to a mug. Next, carefully pour the frothed milk over the collagen milk. Strain tea and discard leaves. Pour stained tea over latte and lightly stir. Enjoy the beautiful blue hue!
*Don’t have a milk frother? Simply add vegan milk, strained tea, and collagen powder to a blender and blend on high.
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Respective brands, Mary Hood Luttrell