Hearty Veggie & Barley Casserole (With Pressure Cooker Option)
- 3/4 to 1 cup yellow onion, chopped small
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 8-ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (loosely packed), chopped
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fresh cut summer squash or zucchini
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tbs thyme
- 1 Tbs sage
- 1 Tbs rosemary
- 1Tbs savory
- 1 Tbs basil
- 1/4-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- to taste salt and pepper
2. Add remaining vegetables, spices, nutritional yeast, beans, and broth. Stir 3-5 minutes.
3. Then add rinsed barley. Seal electric pressure cooker with lid (follow specific instructions that may apply to your appliance) and set on pressure cook high for 15 minutes. Once time has completed, allow to slow release.
4. If barley is still uncooked, you can reset the time for 5 more minutes. **If you don’t have a trusted pressure cooker, you can prepare this dish as a casserole. Combine all ingredients and cover tightly with foil and bake in preheated oven at 350°F for one hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes or until barley is cooked through and tender.
Also by Angie: Vegan Chicken Of The Woods Fajitas
Related: Barley Breakfast Scramble
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Angie Follensbee-Hall