Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp peppermint essential oil
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup smashed candy canes to top
1. preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans.
2. Add ground flax and water to a large bowl. Mix to create a flax egg.
3. Add the sugar, oil, milk, and extracts to the bowl with the egg and mix well.
4. Add the salt, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk together.
5. Stir in the hot water.
6. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until incorporated.
7. Pour into greased cake pans and bake for 30 minutes.
8. While cake is baking, prepare frosting. Add the butter to a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat in.
9. Adding 1/2 cup at a time, add the sugar. Beat on medium high.
10. Add almond milk to give desired consistency.
11. Remove cake from oven, let cool, and frost. Top with smashed candy canes.
Also by Lauren: Sweet & Savory Orange Cranberry Crostini
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote