I created this version with lots of veggies cooked in a decadent red wine with lots of poultry seasoning. Unlike most of my recipes this is not a quickie, but it's worth the time spent around the oven.
You can serve it with mashed potatoes or over any starchy side dishes you like. I happened to make it with mashed cauliflower.
Vegan Coq Au Vin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 5-6 large carrots, peeled
- 1 can (about 200g) canned mushrooms
- 2 cups baby potatoes
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 cups vegan red wine
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or margarin
- 2 tbsp GF flour
- to taste salt, pepper
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, then add garlic until onions turn translucent. Stir in maple syrup to coat onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue stirring until onions are caramelized (about 5 minutes).
2. Meanwhile place carrots, mushrooms and baby potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the remaining tbs olive oil on them and add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss to coat well.
3. Once onions are done, add the veggies to the pot, tossing for a few minutes. Then add red wine, veggie broth and thyme springs. Make sure all veggies are covered. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes until veggies are tender and the red wine taste is not too strong.
4. Once done, in a small mixing bowl stir together melted vegan butter and flour. Add it to the pot and stir well, let it simmer for about 5 more minutes until it thickens nicely.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Serve hot with mashed potatoes or over any starchy side dishes you like. I happened to make it with mashed cauliflower.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth