My favorite way to use cranberry sauce is as a spread on toast because it helps to make the bread less dry. I have seen specialty cheese at the market that is infused with cranberries and I was inspired to combine these two flavors. I added a mild vegan cheddar cheese to my crostini’s but you can use any cheese that you prefer. I used sliced cheese and cut each slice into four squares, to fit them onto the bread. These can be prepared ahead of time and assembled later to make a wonderful holiday appetizer.
- 1 baguette
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices vegan cheese, quartered
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp clove
- zest from 1 orange
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Slice baguette into 16 slices. Brush oil on each side. Place on baking sheet and bake for five minutes.
3. Remove from oven and flip toasts. Then top each with a slice of cheese and return to oven. Let bake for another five minutes, until cheese melts.
4. While baguette is toasting, prepare cranberry sauce. Add cranberries, orange juice, agave, and spices to a large pot and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to a simmer and let cook about 10 min, until cranberries break down and turn into a jelly like state.
6. Remove toast from oven and cranberry sauce from heat. Top each toast with cranberry sauce and garnish with orange zest.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote