- 1 small purple cabbage
- 2 tbsp salt
- to taste freshly ground rose pepper
- about 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Slice 1 cabbage into a 2 cm (about 3/4″) thick steaks. I used my thumb to measure the thickness.
3. Arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Place the steaks on it.
4. Drizzle top sides of the steaks with oil; season with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast until golden brown on the bottom and tender, about 30 minutes. Make sure not to let them turn dark brown because that means they burned and will taste utterly bitter.
5. Serve it warm. I love to top it with homemade vegan mayo or serve with herbed croutons and chickpea salad.
To make herbed crouton: take few pieces of bread and cut them into cubes. In a frying pan, melt a tablespoon of margarine, add herbs like parsley, oregano, basil, thyme or rosemary or whatever you fancy with a few cloves of crushed garlic. Place the bread cubes in it and fry each side until golden brown.
Also by Imola: Hungarian Vegan Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content
Photo: Imola Toth