- 2 cups buckwheat groats (not kasha)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup brown rice or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together buckwheat groats, hemp seeds, cinnamon, and sea salt. (Reserve the coconut for later, as it will burn if it's in the oven for the full 25 minutes).
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until fully combined. If the mixture seems too dry, add more coconut oil by the tablespoon until desired texture has been reached.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. At the 20 minute mark, gently fold in the coconut, making sure it's evenly incorporated on the pan. Check the granola after 5 minutes. The coconut should be nicely toasted but not burnt; if it hasn't yet reached this point, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve! Granola can be stored in a glass container at room temperature for a week.
Also by Molly: Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Related: Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Granola
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne