When it comes to vegan breads, their reputation precedes them, Non-vegans often think that vegan breads are dense and chewy because of the lack of eggs. In this post, I’d like to share with you a vegan pretzel recipe that is soft and airy, brushed with finger-licking garlic and herb olive oil. You can also make this with your bread machine if you have one. Just be sure to put the order of ingredients according to your bread machine’s needs.
Finger-licking, Soft Vegan Garlic Herb Pretzels
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for brushing)
1. Pour warm water into a large bowl, add the yeast and sugar let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
2. Whisk in oil and salt.
3. Add flour and stir until dough forms. Knead for about 15 minutes. You can add 1 – 2 tablespoons of flour if dough is too sticky.
4. Place dough in a bowl that has been lightly greased with oil and let it rise for 50 minutes. Keep dough covered with a plate or a clean tablecloth.
5. Punch the dough after it has risen. Roll into a square and cut strips of 7 centimeter width and 20 centimeter long.
6. Fill the strips with vegan cheese (optional) and fold the dough so the cheese is inside.
7. Roll into a pretzel shape and place on a greased baking tray.
8. Roast chopped garlic and herbs gently in extra virgin olive oil for 2 minutes. Spoon this herb and garlic oil onto the shaped pretzel dough.
9. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. You can brush with more garlic oil after baking.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Radhika Bhagchandani