In every Indian home, a warm cup of chai every evening with a plate of steaming samosa is mandatory. I think we can all agree that a cup of chai is glorious any time of the day, but did you know that every household has its own secret recipe? In this blog post, I would like to share a family recipe of chai spiced with warm spices like cardamom and fennel seeds, veganized with almond milk.
Traditional North Indian Vegan Chai
- 2 cups water
- 1 – 2 tablespoons loose leaf strong black tea
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 6 pods cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1, small cinnamon stick
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cups almond milk
1. Heat water until it simmers. Add the spices (fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ginger) to the water. Let boil for 5 minutes.
2. Add the loose leaf black tea. Let simmer for another 4 minutes in medium-low heat.
3. Add the almond milk. Stir for a minute and turn off the heat.
4. Strain the tea to cups. Add sweetener of your choice if preferred.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Radhika Bhagchandani