Apart from being naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, it is also Mediterranean diet-approved! The combination, goodness and flavors in this easy vegan soup will warm your insides and give you a fuzzy feeling. And another great thing about soups is that you can make a large batch to freeze for later!
Next to my simple wholefood salads, this Roasted Tomato and Pumpkin Soup is a favourite. I can eat this soup year-round really. The flavoring process begins immediately with roasting the tomatoes, pumpkin and carrots as the base for this gorgeous soup. Vegetables are just that much deeper in flavour when roasted, so this first step is very important.
The finishing touches are just as important to me. I added pan fried (no oil) mixed mushrooms, hemp hearts and a dash of chilli flakes.
Roasted Tomato & Pumpkin Soup (GF Vegan)
- 6 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 200 grams Pumpkin, chopped into cubes
- 3 Carrots, sliced
- To taste Sea salt
- To taste Fresh black pepper
- 3 teaspoons Dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon Sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 1/2 cups Unsweetened rice milk
- 150 grams Mixed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons Hemp hearts
- Optional Chilli flakes
1. Heat oven to 450°F.
2. On a lined baking tray, place sliced tomatoes, carrots and chopped pumpkin. Season with sea salt, fresh black pepper, thyme and sweet paprika. Make sure to spread the ingredients well in one layer.
3. Roast in heated oven for about 30 minutes. When ready, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
4. Transfer the roasted tomatoes, pumpkin and carrots to the large bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade. Add the cumin, dry oregano and rice milk and blend.
5. In a medium cooking pot, add your mushrooms and cook briefly until soft. If using fresh, add a tiny bit of water.
6. Pour the roasted tomato mixture into the cooking pot. Season with a little sea salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover part-way. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or so.
7. Transfer the soup to serving bowls. Top with the cooked mushrooms, hemp hearts for a kick of Omega-3 and Omega-6. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of chili flakes if you wish.
Also by Roberta: Crispy Buckwheat Salad with Tahini Dressing
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Roberta Farrugia