This turned out so well that now I'm also addicted to my version of the sesame chick-un. Good thing is that you can use many things to replace chicken! I prefer sweet potato, but cauliflower or tofu is a great choice as well because it's easy to season them and keep the flavoring. For this version I used sweet potato.
GF Vegan Chinese Sesame Chick-un
- ¼ cup GF soy sauce
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup GF flour blend
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- to taste salt, pepper
- ¾ cup sparkling spring water
- 2 large sweet potato, boiled and sliced
- oil for frying
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
For the sesame sauce:
In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, agave syrup, ketchup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Dissolve ½ tablespoon cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water before adding it to the mix. Set this aside to give it some time for the flavors to come together.
For the batter:
In a medium-sized mixing bowl mix GF flour blend, cornstarch, salt, pepper with sparkling water and whisk it with a whisk or fork. It should be a similar consistency to thick pancake batter.
For the ckick-un:
1. Boil the sweet potato in hot water until fork tender. Remove from the water and set aside to cool. Once chilled, cut into bite sized pieces – the shape doesn’t matter, I sometimes cut rounds or chunks.
2. Heat up the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
3. Dip 5–10 pieces in the batter and carefully transfer them into the hot oil.
4. Let them fry for about 1 minute on each side. They will be a very light golden color.
5. Remove the pieces with a skimmer and place them on a paper towel over a cooling rack.
6. Cook the sesame sauce in a small pan over medium-low heat for 3–4 mins or until it has thickened. Gently toss the fried sweet potato pieces into the sauce and stir in well so all pieces are evenly coated.
7. Garnish with sesame seeds or if you like to cover it in sesame seeds, fill a small bowl with sesame seeds and one by one turn each sweet potato piece around in it.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth