The past couple of days have been raw and rainy outside, breaking the summer heat and enabling me to make use of my stove again. I wanted to make something warm and comforting without leaving the house, so I made this dish using pantry staples.
Puttanesca is a classic Italian sauce enhanced with the salty and complex flavors of capers and olives. This sauce is traditionally made with anchovies, but I simply left this ingredient out and it didn’t compromise any of the flavor. Italian food is generally served with a bunch of cheese on top but this dish actually doesn’t call for any at all. You could add a little nutritional yeast on top to give it a cheesy flavor and to add even more health benefits on top of the fresh garlic and herbs.
Italian Pasta Puttanesca
- 1/2 lb spaghetti
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup kalimata olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- to taste black pepper
- For the garlic bread:
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, shredded
- pinch salt
- 2 thick slices of bread
1. Bring a pot of water and 1 tbsp olive oil to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to package.
2. To make the sauce, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauce pan over low heat. Add in smashed garlic and cook until it browns, about 2 min.
3. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper, olives, and capers to the pot with the garlic and stir well. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, until tomatoes break down into more of a liquid.
4. Strain the spaghetti and stir in the butter and oregano. Top with puttanesca sauce and black pepper to taste.
5. For the garlic bread, whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth. Spread mixture over the sliced bread. Put in toaster oven on broil for about 5 minutes, until brown around the edges. Serve with a side salad or greens.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Mexican Street Corn
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote