Since going vegan, I've discovered that just about everything can be made without animal ingredients. Dairy cheese? Try cashews, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. Hamburgers? Soy protein or seitan will do the trick. Not only are non-vegan ingredients easily replaceable, but it seems like so many vegan foods were just *made* to be stand-ins. Take brown rice syrup, for example. This natural sweetener is made by boiling rice until its natural starches turn to sugar. And yet somehow, it's a perfect replacement for marshmallows, which are often used in homemade Rice Krispie treats. In my version of these childhood favorites, I combine brown rice syrup with coconut oil, vanilla, puffed kamut or rice, dried apricots, and coconut flakes. The result is a sticky treat that makes a perfect, filling snack on the go. If you're anything like me, you'll want to double the batch--this stuff goes quick!
Vegan Coconut Apricot Kamut Squares
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS 9-12 squares
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups puffed kamut or rice
- 1 cup dried apricots (preferably unsulfured), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
1. Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. 2. In a small pot, bring brown rice syrup and coconut oil to a boil and take off heat. Stir in vanilla extract and set aside. 3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together puffed kamut, apricots, and coconut shreds. Pour syrup mixture into the bowl and stir to ensure the dry ingredients are coated well. 4. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Using a second sheet of parchment paper, cover the top of the dish and press firmly to pack the ingredients together. Place in freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until the mixture has hardened. 5. Cut into bars and store leftovers in refrigerator.
Also by Molly: Vegan Chocolate Date Bread
Related: Gluten-Free Mocha Brownies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne