We all need a few go-to indulgences that aren’t terribly unhealthy. Last week, I made these coconut cream-filled berry tarts, and I had such a fun time experimenting with health-conscious desserts that I wanted to try my hand a baking once again. Behold these Vegan, Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free Mocha Brownies. They’re fiber-rich and made with healthy, whole grains and heart-loving fats (almonds and coconut oil). I was surprised by how simple and foolproof they were. Plus, they passed the omnivore test (in other words, they satiated my husband’s craving for sweets).
I used a mixture of gluten-free flours that I had on hand, but I encourage you to experiment with flours of your choice. The ultimate texture of the brownies may vary among flour combinations, but that’s all part of the learning process! I hope you enjoy 🙂
Vegan Gluten-Free Mocha Brownies
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coffee concentrate (or strong brewed coffee)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup stevia baking blend
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper (or smear the inside with coconut oil). Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: gluten-free flours, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, baking soda, guar gum, salt, and cocoa powder (exclude stevia baking blend). Mix well.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients (coffee concentrate, coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla) and the stevia baking blend. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine.
4. Spread the batter in the baking dish until you have an even layer. Bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes or until you the brownie passes the knife test. (Insert a clean knife. If the knife comes out clean, your brownie is done.)
5. Allow the brownie to cool before slicing into squares and serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Related: Double Chocolate Pecan Brownies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell