Chili is one of my favorite weekday meals to make because it only requires one pot and it’s extremely versatile. For the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes in this recipe, I used a blender to make both from scratch using fresh tomatoes and a tiny bit of salt. This is a super simple way to make sure your chili tastes as fresh as possible and that your tomatoes get used up during their prime. I served my chili with some cilantro on top and some tortilla chips on the side but feel free to serve it over rice or alongside a salad.
Vegan Jackfruit Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups jackfruit
- 1 diced red onion
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 diced jalapeño
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can drained black beans
- juice from 1 lime
- handful fresh cilantro
1. Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium heat.
2. Add the jackfruit, garlic, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño, and sauté for a few minutes, until they begin to soften.
3. Add the spices and stir well to coat.
4. Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
5. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, to let some of the liquid evaporate and the flavors infuse.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Strawberry Lemon Donuts
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote