This recipe is very simple to follow and it makes an elegantly beautiful dessert. I used aquafaba as the egg replacement because I find that it results in a more light and airy donut. You could use a flax egg as well but your donut will be a little more dense. This recipe could easily be doubled or tripled to bring to a birthday party, wedding party, baby shower, or any other event that you would like to bring a host gift.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the glaze:
- 3 strawberries
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- lemon zest to top
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a donut pan and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until there are no lumps.
3. Stir in the aquafaba, lemon zest, lemon extract, and almond milk.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the donut pan and bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set on a cooling rack until completely cool.
6. To make the glaze, blitz the strawberries with a hand blender or smash with the back of a fork. Add the confectioners sugar and stir until it thickens. Set in fridge while donuts cool.
7. Glaze donuts and top with lemon zest. Store leftovers in the fridge for best results!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote