Risotto is the best-ever dish if you want to make sure that you'll satisfy the taste buds of your guests. Its smoky, sweet, and savory flavors will positively surprise everyone who gives it a try. Since I first made this unique combo it has become my favorite and I have it at east once a week.
In case you are not familiar with risotto it is an Italian rice dish that is cooked to be super creamy and decadent. The combination with apple is not common but also not totally unheard of! In this case, the fruit is used in a more savory way rather than sweet. This version is more a French twist for this Italian dish with the white wine and Provençal seasoning.
GF Apple Risotto With Smoky Vegan Cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 1 medium chopped apple (I used sour green apple)
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence seasoning
- to taste salt, pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine (Chardonnay wine)
- 1/2 cup vegan smoked cheese, crumbled into small pieces
1. Pour veggie broth in a medium pot, set on high heat until boiling, then lower to a simmer and just keep it hot.
2. In a large nonstick pot, melt vegan butter over medium heat. Add onion and apples. Cook until fragrant, softened, and lightly caramelized (about 10 min), then mix in Herbes de Provence and salt, pepper.
3. Add in ¼ cup of the white wine, and let it cook off and evaporate until it no longer smells like alcohol.
4. Add in the rice, and stir so it’s evenly coated with the butter.
5. Let the rice toast for 1-2 minutes, then add in the remaining ¼ cup of white wine, and let it cook off once again.
6. Using a ladle, start adding in the warm veggie broth you heated earlier. Start with 3–4 portions, stirring well, then continue adding the rest one ladle at a time as the risotto absorbs the liquid.
7. Keep adding the liquids until risotto is creamy and tender to taste without being overly mushy.
8. Once risotto is done, remove from heat and stir in the vegan cheese before serving.