The tofu is flavored with my favorite spices—smoked paprika and cumin. These spices make any food delicious and super moreish. The chewy roasted tofu is reminiscent of halloumi which I love.
This recipe is so easy to scale up or down, roast veg make an amazing, simple side dish to any BBQ or picnic. You can use whatever veg you have at home. Peppers, broccoli and sweet potato would all be delicious.
Roast Tofu And Cauliflower Mezze
- 1 Cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 Aubergine, cut into long strips
- 1 Red Onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 block Firm Tofu, Cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 0.5 teaspoon black pepper
- 0.25 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 0.5 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Mixed Herbs
- 2 tablespoons Hummus
- 2 handfuls Arugula or other lettuce
- 1 big or 2 small Flatbread
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Put the vegetables onto one baking tray and coat with 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, put in the oven for 40 minutes.
3. In a small tub with a lid, or bowl, mix together the remaining smoked paprika, salt, pepper as well as cornstarch and cumin. Add the tofu and shake until evenly coated.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a second baking tray and tip in the tofu put in the oven and roast for 3o minutes.
5. While the veg and tofu are cooking, make your salad dressing. Add the olive oil, vinegar, mustard and dried herbs to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add a pinch of salt and shake until the dressing has emulsified and is a pale yellow color.
6. 5 minutes before serving, sprinkle some water over your flatbreads and put them on a baking tray in the oven for 4 minutes to make them soft.
7. To serve, put the salad on the plate and drizzle with a little dressing, add a spoon of hummus to each plate along with the flatbread, tofu and roast vegetables.
Also by Katharine: Chickpea & Roasted Pepper Stew With Parsley Rice
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Katharine Hopkins