Immunity-Boosting Vegan Congee (Chinese Rice Porridge)
- 1.5 cups Rice
- 1 large knob (about 5cm/2 inches) Ginger
- 2 medium Carrots
- 1 cup Mushrooms
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sesame oil or marmite/vegemite (optional)
- 3 strips Kelp
1. In a pot, rinse the rice a couple of times until the water runs clear. Add the 6 cups of water.
2. Cut the mushroom and carrots into bite-sized chunks.
3. Peel and thinly slice the ginger.
4. Add the kelp, water, rice, ginger, and salt to the pot. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat.
5. Simmer for an hour, making sure to stir from time to time so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
6. Once it’s ready, the congee will be creamy and smooth. You can add a teaspoon of sesame oil and soy sauce to serve, or some marmite/vegemite. Please note that the congee will get creamy over time when it cools down. Feel free to add more water if you want it to be more watery. Enjoy! 🙂
Also by Debbie: Vegan Chinese “Egg” And Tomato
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Deborah Tan