Pan-Fried Crispy Tofu with Tomato (Vegan Chinese Tomato and “Egg”)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 block (250g) Firm Tofu, drained
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 1 Large tomato, cubed or in wedges
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Shaoxing Wine (Chinese cooking wine), mirin, or similar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 2 tbsp Water
1. Slice the tofu block in half, then into rectangular slices.
2. Heat the olive oil in a wok or pan. Fry the tofu over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Usually tomato and “egg” is served scrambled and soft, but I wanted to create this variation because crispy tofu is simply amazing.
3. Just after the tofu has turned golden brown, add the salt, shaoxing wine, sesame oil, and white pepper. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
4. In the same wok or pan, combine the tomato and diced onion. Add sugar and 2 tbsp water. After 1 minute, remove from heat and arrange on top of the tofu. It’s ready to serve! 😊
Also by Debbie: Vegan Chinese Tofu Stir Fry With “Oyster” Sauce
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Debbie Tan