This recipe–vegan braised napa cabbage with lentils–is inspired by my favorite recipe in Alicia Silverstone’s book, The Kind Diet (and possibly one of my favorite recipes ever?!). Alicia’s version features a daikon radish that is braised in a mixture of tamari and mirin, which produces a deep umami flavor that’s simply irresistible. For my napa cabbage version, I chose to saute garlic and ginger in a little sesame oil before adding the cabbage and carrots to the pan. This imparts an even more complex flavor to the vegetable dish, which I just loved.
To make this a meal, feel free to pair the cabbage with your choice of grain; brown or basmati rice, quinoa, or millet would all be delicious here. As for a protein, I chose lentils, but I think seasoned tofu or tempeh would be just as delish. Whichever combination you choose, I hope you enjoy!
Braised Napa Cabbage With Lentils
- 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 1/2 head napa cabbage, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped finely
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 cup water
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté green onion in the oil for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for another 2 minutes.
2. Add cabbage, carrots, mirin, tamari, and water and bring mixture to a boil.
3. When the mixture has reached a boil, cover and turn the heat to low-medium. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, checking around the 25-minute mark to check the liquid level (you want all the liquid to boil off).
4. Scoop the cabbage into bowls and top with lentils or protein of choice. Enjoy!
Also by Molly: Vegan Balsamic Quinoa Salad
Related: Spicy Lentil and Quinoa Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne