Can you believe it’s nearly July? Picnics, potlucks, and barbecues are in full swing. Though I can never get enough fresh watermelon and grilled corn, it is nice to feel like I can contribute a main course at an event of this type. Enter: Lentil Sloppy Joes! These little sammies are packed with protein and flavor. Extremely easy to make for any level cook and a welcome departure from their meat-filled cousin. These Lentil Joes will make the perfect addition to your 4th of July gathering!
Lentil Sloppy Joes
Prep time: 00:05 minutes
Cook time: 00:07 minutes
Total time: 00:12 minutes
Yield: Enough for up to 4 sandwiches
2 cups cooked lentils (frozen or canned work best)
1 tbs coconut oil
1 small yellow onion
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Creole seasoning
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
For the sandwiches:
dill pickle chips
Lentil Sloppy Joe filling
1. Chop onion.
2. Sauté onion in coconut oil over medium heat until they begin to brown.
3. Add lentils and crushed garlic. See note.*
4. Add tomato sauce and spices. Stir until well mixed and lentils are warmed.
5. Transfer Lentil Sloppy Joe mix to another bowl.
6. Assemble sandwiches with Lentil Sloppy Joe mix, vegan mayo, and dill pickle chips.
Note* You will see in the video I added the lentils 1 cup at a time. Feel free to split them up as I have or add them all at once.
Video: Christina Ramirez