It is my nature to get sick at the end of the winter season and what can be better to cure it than my childhood medicine, the pea soup of my great-grandmother. She knew all the secrets of making healing tea, soup that made us strong and magical bunny-shaped cookies. Maybe that was the secret, that she used animal-shaped pasta in the soup as well. This soup only contains a few ingredients and is very easy to make.
Heirloom Vegan Pea Soup (Inherited from my Great-Grandmother!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 500g green peas, frozen or fresh
- 4-5 pieces carrots, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 L veggie broth
- salt, pepper to taste
- 3 handful any kind of small sized pasta
1. Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the onions until they become translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute or two, until fragrant.
2. Add the peas and carrot to the onion and garlic and stir so the oil covers each pea. Pour the veggie broth over the peas and season with salt, pepper and parsley.
3. Just when it starts to boil, add the pasta to the soup and cook until they become al dente. (Soft outside, but a little hard in the inside – they will cook in the hot soup later, there’s no need to overcook them.)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth