Risotto is also one of my go to autumnal dishes, as they are so easy to make and you can literally infuse it with the tastes and colors of autumn.
I used a sauce pan but you can also make it in an instant pot. The wild rice blend makes the risotto a hearty option. Fresh sage and thyme with mushrooms and pumpkin puree together add wonderful flavor to this risotto. The drunkenness comes from the white wine used during cooking but if you want your risotto be sober, you can skip this step.
GF Vegan Pumpkin Wild Rice Risotto
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 can sliced mushrooms (can be mixed, or white, cremini)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- to taste salt, pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup wild rice + brown rice blend
- 1/4 cup vegan creamer
- 1 cup cubed pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and a good pinch of salt and mix and sauté until fragrant.
2. Add half of the mushrooms and mix in. Reserve half of the mushrooms to mix in later. Cook for about 3 mins.
3. Add the herbs and freshly ground pepper, stir to combine.
4. Add white wine and continue to cook for about 1-2 minutes.
5. Stir in the pumpkin purée and a 1/3 of the veggie broth.
6. Then mix in the rice blend as well. Bring to a boil while stirring. This will make the risotto creamy. Meanwhile gradually add the other 1/3 part of the veggie broth, while continually stirring. Once it start to seem as it dried out add the rest of the veggie broth while stirring. Taste and adjust seasoning. Take off the heat.
7. Stir in vegan creamer, optionally you can add vegan Parmesan as well.
For the roasted pumpkin topping:
Heat up 1 tbsp oil in a smaller frying pan over medium heat. Toss the cubed pumpkin in the oil. Then sprinkle in rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix it well to coat. Roast it for about 5-8 minutes while stirring, so it gets roasted on each sides.
Serve risotto while warm, top it with the roasted pumpkin.
More pumpkin: Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth