You make a fusion of all three and create an oven-baked kimchi mac 'n cheese, or should I say mac 'n kim-cheese?
Perfect for the colder days, when you're craving something creamy, yet crispy, savory and spicy.
Kimchi is a traditional Korean dish of salted, fermented vegetables. It typically contains cabbage and seasonings like scallions, garlic, ginger, and chili peppers. Not only is this dish delectable, but it also offers many health benefits, which makes it a perfect ingredient for autumn and fall to provide the best nourishment to your body.
On its own, Chinese cabbage—one of the main ingredients in kimchi—boasts vitamins A and C, at least 10 different minerals, and over 34 amino acids. Since kimchi varies widely in ingredients, its exact nutritional profile differs, but in general it provides good amount of fiber, high in vitamins B6, C and K, folate, iron, niacin, and riboflavin. It also contains probiotics and strengthens your immune system thanks to the Lactobacillus bacterium.
Oven-Baked GF Vegan Kimchi Mac n Cheese
- 1 cup GF macaroni pasta
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped kimchi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp gochujang
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- to taste salt, pepper
- 1 tsp kimchi juice
- 1 medium green onion, sliced
- 1 cup vegan cheese, shredded
1. Prepare the pasta according to packaging instructions.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. In a medium pot, sauté onions in olive oil until fragrant, then add garlic and potatoes. When softened, add gochujang and all spices, together with 1/2 cup water. Cook until potatoes are fork tender and then place contents of the pot into high powered blender or use a hand blender to blend it together with remaining ingredients, until smooth.
4. Once pasta is done, transfer it to a baking tray, mix in the kimchi and the sauce and about 3/4 of the green onions combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
5. Top it with the shredded vegan cheese and bake it in the oven until cheese on top is melted and turns golden.
6. Serve it warm, garnish with green onions.
Photo: Imola Toth