GF Vegan Green Pea Fusili With Leek Cream
- 200g GF fusili
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 medium lemon, juice only
- 1 small (about 200g) eggplant, sliced to 1.5 cm cubes
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbs strawberry wine
- 1 shot espresso
- chili flakes
- 200ml olive oil
1. Slice up the eggplant into 1.5 cm cubes and add salt. Let it rest for an hour.
2. Meanwhile in a pan, add the oil to the sliced leek and on the lowest heat, cook it for about an hour until it turns golden brown. Once ready, transfer the soft onion rings to a filter and let the oil drop off of them. Keep the oil for the rest of the cooking.
3. By this time your eggplant should be ready, too. Press out the liquid from the cubes. Add 100 ml of the oil that you used with the leek to a pan, heat it up over high heat and fry every side of the eggplant cubes while stirring. For the last few minutes add the sliced mushrooms to the pan as well with the sliced garlic and fry them together. Then add the strawberry wine and the espresso and let them evaporate.
4. Meanwhile start to prepare the fusilli as per package instructions.
5. In a pot, caramelize the sugar, add the leek slices and cook together for a few minutes. Transfer to a blender along with the lemon juice and make a smooth blend.
6. Transfer fusilli to a plate with he mushroom, garlic and eggplant mix, top it with the leek cream and serve it with chili flakes on top.
7. Optionally you can add fresh parsley or cilantro on the top or more freshly squeezed lemon juice or chili sauce.
Also by Imola: Creamiest Vegan Grilled Eggplant Dip
Vegan Spinach Artichoke Casserole
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth