Spinach is a great source of folate, niacin, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and vitamin K, and contains traces of the rest of the essential vitamins, pigments, and phytonutrients. It's also a wonderful way to get potassium, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and of course iron.
GF Vegan Creamed Spinach
- 150-200g baby spinach
- 2 cups plain unsweetend plant milk
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ground pepper
1. Preheat a large skillet over low heat. Add about a tablespoon of water and sauté the spinach with a pinch of sea salt until wilted. Toss often and as soon as the spinach releases its water transfer to a colander to drain well.
2. Meanwhile in another sauce pan whisk together the plant milk (I used cashew), flour, onion and garlic powders until well combined. Season with the sea salt and ground pepper and bring to a simmer whisking continuously until it becomes thick and creamy, approximately 5 minutes or so.
3. Remove the sauce from the oven and gently fold in the spinach. Add a little pinch of freshly grated nutmeg to taste.
Also see: GF Vegan Zucchini & Pea Soup with Mint
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth