Picture this: the warmth of the sun’s early rays reach through your kitchen window, glossing the countertops, chasing the sleep from your bones. You can tell it will be one of those hot, endless August days, and you don’t want piles of stodgy foods first thing.
Yesterday, luckily, you crafted a nutty, sharp, fruity bread perfect for this occasion. It can be sliced thin, spread with just a smear of almond butter or jam. It’s best served warm, so a few minutes in the toaster or grill will give it a slight crunch and let the spreads melt just enough. Chase it down with some light fruit and a strong cup of coffee. The perfect summertime wake up call.
A note: begin preparing the bread a day in advance to ensure it’s ready for you when you wake up.
No-Knead Cranberry Walnut Bread
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1–1 1/2 cups room temp water
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
1. Add the flour, yeast, and sea salt together in a bowl. Make sure the yeast doesn’t come in direct contact with the salt. Mix together.
2. Add the walnuts and cranberries to the bowl. Mix.
3. Mix the syrup with the water, then add to the flour mixture until a rough, sticky dough forms. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave for 12 to 18 hours somewhere warm and dry.
4. Once the dough has doubled in size, preheat the oven to 210°C and warm a dutch oven pot inside.
5. Sprinkle flour onto parchment paper and tip the dough onto it.
6. Shape the dough into a round loaf, but try not to handle it too much.
7. Sprinkle some flour on top of the loaf, then cover loosely with cling film and leave for another 45 minutes.
8. Pick the risen dough up by the sides of the parchment paper and transfer it into the warmed dutch oven pot.
9. Place the lid on, bake for 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake for a further 15 minutes. Leave to cool on wire rack before cutting/toasting.
Related: Vegan Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Vegan Blackberry Chocolate Chip Bread
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Mairead Randall