Bananas are not only a delicious food beloved by everyone from babies to the elderly, they are also a great source of cancer-fighting antioxidants and a revered aphrodisiac and energy-building food. But did you know bananas also have Ayurvedic properties?
According to Ayurveda, banana balances vata dosha and pitta dosha but increases kapha dosha. Its medicinal properties help in treating impotence, male infertility, and low weight. Raw or green banana is a powerhouse of minerals, vitamins, and carbohydrates. It contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc, plus Vitamins A, B, C, B-6. Potassium helps to reduce high blood pressure. There is a strong link between hypertension or high blood pressure and erectile dysfunction. Bananas also reduce thirst and acidity, help to increase body bulk and strength, and as they are rich in fiber, they help to increase bowel movement. Thus people who suffer from constipation are highly benefited by consumption of this fruit.
Apart from these benefits banana acts as a brain tonic and helps to boost memory power. It calms nervous system, reduces stress and depression. This magic fruit helps to overcome morning sickness and heart burn.
Ripe bananas are ideal food for infants. Face mask of ripe mashed bananas help to rejuvenate skin and prevent formation of wrinkles. This fruit help to supply required vitamins and minerals to smokers who are trying to quit smoking. The craving for nicotine reduces by consumption of this wonderful fruit.
Normally Ayurveda would suggest not to take bananas with milk, so I prepared the recipe with alkaline Kangen water for this reason.
- 2 big banana, peeled, cut in half
- 12 g baking powder
- 60g gluten free flour blend
- 90 ml water
- to fry vegetable oil
- to serve agave/rice/maple syrup
1. In a large bowl whisk together baking powder and flour, then slowly add the water and mix until you get an even, smooth cream-like mixture.
2. Slice up the bananas into halves or 3 equal sized pieces.
3. Meanwhile heat up the oil in a large frying pan. Then using a fork, cover the banana slices in the flour-water mixture and transfer in the oil, fry on each side until it turns golden.
4. Once they are done, transfer them on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
5. When serving pour agave/rice or maple syrup over it. I also like with black currant syrup.
Related: Vegan Banana Affogato
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth