Perfect for cooler days, and you can freeze the soup for later. The noodle soup broth is complex and savory, and this homemade version is no exception. Hope you enjoy!
Vegan Taiwanese “Beef” Noodle Soup with Braised Tofu and Veggies
- 2 Star anise
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 Bay leaves
- 5-6 Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 Onion, diced
- 6 slices Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 4 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/2 block Tofu, sliced
- 1 large Carrot, sliced into chunks
- 2 medium Zucchini, sliced into chunks
- 6-8 Dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked and reconstituted
- 4-6 nests Chinese wheat noodles
- 2 cups Hot water
1. Firstly, prepare the soup base. Place the star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and sichuan peppercorns in 2 cups of hot water.
2. Stir the garlic, onion and ginger over medium high heat in a large pot. Add the five spice powder, cumin, light and dark soy sauce.
3. Pour the soup base into the pot.
4. Add the tofu, carrot, zucchini and whole mushrooms.
5. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes, until carrots are soft and tender.
6. While the soup is cooking, cook the Chinese wheat noodles. Depending on the thickness of the noodles you selected, typically you’d boil the noodles for about 2-4 minutes.
7. Time to serve! Place one noodle nest in a bowl, pour the soup and add vegetables on top. Enjoy. 😊
Also by Debbie: The Best Hot Pot Noodle Soup
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Debbie Tan