As we welcome autumn into our lives, I welcome you to a delicious autumn soup. A soup jam-packed with flavor and nutrition. Let your taste buds be swept away by the broth that you will be questioning is even vegan.
Would you believe this luxuriously smooth broth is almond milk? That’s right, almond milk and nothing else! When I began this soup I planned on using half vegetable broth and half coconut milk, but it seemed I was out of both of these items. All I had was almond milk and I am amazed at how it turned out! I think this is my new favorite choice for creamy broth! You can also use a can of full-fat coconut milk.
The milk provides some added protein, along with the rice. It is also very filling because of the rice and potatoes. It is a soup that can last you the entire week! However, you may find you have to add some more liquid to it upon reheating. Rice loves to soak up liquids.
Creamy Cheesy Vegan Potato, Corn and Rice Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp diced Onion
- 2 nubs diced Garlic
- 1 cup uncooked Brown Rice
- 4 chopped Red Potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Corn
- 1 cup shredded Carrots
- 1 stock diced Celery
- 1 package diced Mushroom
- 1 tbsp Basil
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Mustard seed
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- 5 cups Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Salt
- to taste Pepper
1. Take the rice and chopped potatoes and put them in a rice cooker (with steaming vegetable tray) to cook. If you do not have a cooker with a vegetable tray, you can boil your potatoes.
2. When this is done cooking, grab a large pot and turn on medium heat.
3. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, basil, some of the salt and some pepper. Let cook for a few minutes until it starts to smell good.
4. Add the mushrooms and celery, and let this cook for a few minutes.
5. I bought frozen corn and heated it in the microwave with a 1/2 cup of water before adding it to the pot. However, you can just add it to the pot if you’d like.
6. One I added the corn I threw in the carrots, as well as all of the spices.
7. Add the rest of the salt and some more pepper. Let this cook together for a few more minutes.
8. Add the rice, potatoes, milk and nutritional yeast to the pot.
9. Stir this together and turn on low heat. Place a lid over the pot and let this sit for 5 to 10 minutes to cook together really nice.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lindsey Blakley