Christmas has just passed us by. No matter how old we get, warmly spiced cookies are always an essential during these time of year. If you didn’t get a chance to make gingerbread cookies this Christmas, don’t fret! The weather is still cold and December is still here. Follow along the recipe for tasty and easy classic vegan gingerbread cookies.
Classic Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons White sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegan butter/Coconut oil
- 1 Flax egg
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 3 teaspoons Ginger root, grated, squeezed for water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1. Mix vegan butter (or coconut oil) with brown sugar and white sugar using a mixture. Scrape down the edges and continue mixing for 3 minutes until pale in color.
2. Add flax egg, ginger juice, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, salt and vanilla extract. Continue mixing for another 4 minutes.
3. Add flour and mix with a spatula until resembles a dough. Continue mixing the dough with your hands until dough becomes a smooth ball.
4. Place the dough in a clingwrap film in the freezer for 20 minutes.
5. Take the dough out of the freezer, roll until reaches half centimeter thickness and cut into shapes using cookie cutters. In this case I used gingerbread men and stars cookie cutter shapes.
6. Bake at 130°C for 12 minutes. Keep in mind that the cookies will be soft after baked. Let cookies cool for another 10 minutes to harden and turn crunchy.
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Radhika Bhagchandani