You heard it here first; the next best thing since sliced bread is blueberry compote.
The wonderful thing about blueberry compote is that it looks like it takes hours of stovetop labor to prepare. I’m sure there are recipes out there that require such effort, but this recipe only takes about ten minutes. A compote is simply fruit cooked in syrup, and blueberries are so delicate and flavorful it does not take long for a thick, sweet, and rich blueberry sauce to come together.
My favorite way to eat blueberry compote is dolloped over a bowl of plant-based yogurt, but it is also the perfect topping for pancakes, oatmeal, or even vegan vanilla ice cream. This yummy topping only requires four ingredients and a whopping ten minutes to assemble. Feel free to make this sauce a day or two ahead of time and serve hot or cold.
4-Ingredient Vegan Blueberry Compote
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Place the blueberries, water, and maple syrup into a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring to a simmer and cook–stirring often–for about eight minutes until the blueberries begin to burst. If you would like a thicker sauce, feel free to cook for an additional three minutes or so.
3. Remove from the heat and mash the blueberries a couple of times to create a thicker sauce. Stir in the lemon juice.
4. Serve warm, room temperature, or even cold.
5. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Will keep for 7-10 days.
Also by Olivia: Authentic Spanish 5-Ingredient Sangria Pitcher
Related: Vegan Blueberry Pie Oatmeal
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Olivia Parr