I love to make these after a long day of work as a "snack," and I have no qualms with finishing the whole tray paired with a glass of oat milk. However, if I do have any leftovers I save them for breakfast to have with my morning coffee.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Blueberry Brown Rice Sourdough Biscuits (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 ½ tbsp Flax Seeds
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 cup Brown Rice Sourdough Starter
- 1 cup Brown Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Plant Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Frozen Blueberries
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
1. Start off by setting your oven to 350°F.
2. Prepare your flax egg by combining 1 ½ tbsp of flax seeds with ¼ cup of water, stir and let it sit for 5 minutes.
3. Add the vinegar to the plant milk and either aerate in a blender or use a hand frother. Set aside and let it sit for a few minutes as well, so that the vinegar can curdle the milk. (Soy milk froths the best).
4. In a medium-sized bowl add a cup of brown rice flour, then add in your baking soda, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Next add your cup of sourdough starter, flax egg, milk, and maple syrup. Mix together until you have a slightly sticky, but not too wet dough. Add extra brown rice flour if you would like. Lastly, mix in your blueberries.
5. Next, place a piece of parchment paper on a cooking tray and make fist-sized balls with the dough. Place the tray with biscuits into the oven for 15-18 minutes and voila! Eat these biscuits for breakfast or as a healthy dessert!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Elena Kennedy