- 1 TBSP Chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups Plant-based milk or Water
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 cup Pecans
- 1 Apple, chopped
- 1/2 Red beet (raw or cooked), peeled and shredded
- 4 heaping TBSP Applesauce
- 2 Dates, chopped
- Ginger, peeled and chopped (as much as you like!)
- 1 TBSP Carob powder (optional)
- 2 thick wedges Pumpkin (skin on)
- Pumpkin spice (if you don't have any, just mix 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp cloves!)
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Mix chia seeds with milk/water and apple sauce and set aside.
3. Put the two pumpkin wedges on a parchment-covered baking tray and put in the oven (they need to be baked a little longer than the oatmeal).
4. In a medium-sized baking dish, combine the rolled oats, cinnamon, baking powder, dates, nuts, apple, red beet, ginger and carob powder.
5. Add the chia seed-water/milk mixture to the oat mixture and stir to combine well.
6. Put the baking dish in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the oatmeal has achieved the consistency you like and the pumpkin is soft.
7. Take the pumpkin out of the oven, then scrape the flesh off of the skin and mash with a fork. Season with the pumpkin spice (about 3/4 tsp).
8. Divide the oatmeal into two bowls, and serve topped with pumpkin mash (Some additional topping ideas include cinnamon, applesauce, milk, vegan yogurt, granola, nuts…the possibilities are endless!)
Vegan Tortilla De Patata (Spanish Omelette)
Photo: Rebecca Botello