I have been making a bunch of different chilis and stews recently and this naturally calls for a piece of cornbread to soak up all the flavor! I haven’t always been a big fan of cornbread, with it generally being so dry and crumbly, but I have played around with different types of flour and portions of flour to cornmeal, resulting in the fluffiest, cake-like cornbread recipe. After it is topped with vegan shredded cheese and fresh jalapeños, it becomes the perfectly spiced side to your comfort food dishes. It is so dense and filling that once it’s sliced and topped with vegan butter, it’s almost like a meal on its own. This would be wonderful to take camping, hiking, or on any long adventure.
I chose to bake this in two half loaf bread pans, but you can pour the batter into a standard bread pan and bake it as one large loaf. This makes it so much easier to slice and serve than the standard cake pan method cornbread is usually made in.
Cheesy Cheddar & Jalaneño Cornbread
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- 2 flax egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 5 tbsps vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- a pinch salt
- a handful vegan shredded cheese
- 2 jalapeño, sliced n seeded
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. In a small bowl, pour the almond milk and cider vinegar together and whisk. Let sit for a couple minutes, add the baking soda and stir. Set aside.
3. Prepare your flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp water. Let sit.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and the sugar. Pour in the flax egg and almond milk mixture and whisk together.
5. Add cornmeal, flour, and salt to the mix and stir until combined and there are no flour lumps.
6. Grease 2 half loaf pans (or 1 whole loaf pan) and pour half of the mix into each.
7. Top with shredded vegan cheese and sliced jalapaños.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes, checking with a toothpick and adjusting the time to your oven.
9. Remove from oven and serve with soup, chili, stew, etc!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!