There's nothing quite as comforting as a bowl of hot, nourishing soup on a cold day, even though we are still experiencing pretty much hot temperatures here in Malta. But my cravings for warm comfort food has kicked in so I delivered!
This Nourish me soup focuses on simple, healing foods that draw upon the deep wisdom and traditions of ancestral cooking. This soup feature nutrient-dense ingredients consisting of seasonal vegetables.
Did you know that celery is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory foods? Yes indeed! Consuming celery is a great way to alkalinize your gut. It improves kidney function and helps restore the adrenal glands.
So get this soup a go and feel nourished. Nourishing yourself is an act of self-love. You will just need one pot and loads of aromatic vegetables which give a lift to the soup's flavour and add their own nutritional benefits. Don't bother to add any cream. Keep it simple and fully whole food plant based! This soup will turn into a creamy, velvety one thanks to the inclusion of potatoes and Nutritional yeast.
Ancestral Nourish Me Soup (GF Vegan)
- 2 bunches / heads Celery
- 1 small head Broccoli with stalk
- 400g Potatoes
- 2 large Carrots
- 2 Spring onions
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 inch Ginger root
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Mace powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- To taste Black pepper
- 500ml Water
- To garnish: Hemp seeds, celery leaf and a dash of smoked paprika
1. First off, peel the spring onion, ginger, and garlic cloves. After the peels are discarded, chop them up roughly. For this recipe, we will be blending all the ingredients so everything does not need to be chopped up finely.
2. Put all the ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook at a gentle boil for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are just fork tender.
3. Then turn off the stovetop and carefully spoon all the ingredients into a blender.
4. Blend until the mixture is creamy and thick.
5. Enjoy warm! Add a dash of paprika, some hemp seeds and garnish with some celery leaf.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Roberta Farrugia