Craving for Indian takeaway? If you have the time on an easy weekend to spend some time with your loved one(s), challenge yourself to this easy Vegan Biryani fried rice to satisfy and fulfill your evening.
Recipe Type: Allergen Free Hearty Entrees
YIELDS 4–5 servings
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 thumb ginger (minced)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika or chili powder
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3–4 cups oyster mushrooms (chopped)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup green peas
- 3–4 cups cooked rice
- 4 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- A handful of cilantro
1. On a hot pan, add 4 tbsp oil and sweat down your chopped onion then add your minced garlic, ginger and cinnamon stick until fragrant.
2. Add your seasonings: masala, cumin, turmeric, paprika/ chili powder and tomato puree until everything is fully coated. Gradually add your water if it gets too dry.
3. Next add in your chopped oyster mushrooms, this will serve as your “chicken” and add a pinch of salt.
4. Then add in your green peas and cooked rice and sauté.
5. Serve with some lime wedges and top with some cilantro for some pop of color. Enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino