This salad is really easy to make and is a great way to eat seasonally. I threw in the last of my tomato supply and picked through what was left of the mint in the yard. The addition of fresh herbs and some lemon juice helped to add a bright, fresh flavor to balance out the warming spices. You can serve this as a side dish at dinner or just enjoy it with some pita bread for a light but filling lunch. I recommend keeping the skin on the eggplant while it roasts, as it helps to keep it from falling apart and turning too mushy.
Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Salad
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1-4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss the eggplant in the olive oil and pour onto baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, until it begins to brown and caramelize.
3. Remove eggplant from oven and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and mint and toss together. Set aside.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, spices, salt, and black pepper to make the dressing.
5. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well to coat. Serve hot or cold.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote