What I love most about this plant-based curry is how simple it is. But simple doesn’t mean tasteless. Not at all.
This curry has so much flavor going on, I promise, you will fall in love with it, and might become a regular week meal.
It’s also really versatile and you can use different veggies or play around with the spices. You can use seasonal vegetables and make this meal super inexpensive.
1-Pot Spicy Vegetable Curry (Oil-free & Gluten-free)
- 1 large Red onion, finely chopped
- 6 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 inches Fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 3 large Potatoes, with skin, chopped into cubes
- 1 Green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups Pumpkin, chopped into cubes
- 15 oz. Red lentils, soaked and drained
- 2 cups Aubergine, chopped into cubes
- 1 large Marrow, chopped into cubes
- 3 x 13.5 oz. Coconut milk, canned
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Hot curry
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 Lime, freshly squeezed
- For garnish: fresh chili, fresh coriander and toasted coconut flakes
1. Heat some water in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Now add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 more minute. Add 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon cumin and 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper and sauté 1-2 minutes more, until fragrant.
2. To the pot, add the potatoes, lentils, aubergine, marrow, pumpkin and green bell pepper. Pour in the coconut milk, 1 tablespoon curry and sea salt and stir well. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes and other vegetables are tender. Add more water if needed. The curry should have a thick consistency so do not over do it with water.
3. Taste; season with more salt if desired and some black pepper. Serve hot garnished with some sliced fresh chili, fresh coriander and some toasted coconut flakes. Lastly, freshly squeeze some lime to give this meal the perfect kick of flavour. Enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Roberta Farrugia