These are so easy to make and can be customized in a bunch of different ways depending on your liking and what you have on hand. These store well and can be frozen after they cool to easily pop in to the oven for quick leftovers. Feel free to add in black or kidney beans to make these a bit heavier. They would also be good with some vegan feta cheese in place of the mozzarella.
Savory Vegan Pumpkin Quesadillas
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 1 1/2 cup cooked beets, minced
- 1/4 cup garlic scapes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 12 in. flour tortilla wraps
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded, massaged kale
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin purée with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove, and set aside.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, make the beet salsa. Add the beets, garlic scapes, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño, salt, and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Add one of the tortillas and layer one half of it with the pumpkin, beet salsa, cheese, and kale.
4. Fold the tortilla in half and let cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned, then flip and cook the other side for another 5 minutes or until browned.
5. While the quesadilla is cooking, make the creamy lime sauce. Whisk together the yogurt and lime and drizzle over tortillas when ready.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote