I’m careful about New Years Resolutions, because I know it’s easy to place unnecessary stress on the month of January to do it all and do it all well. I try to be more of the mindset that goal setting is something that can and should be done year-round. However, I too feel the urge to “start fresh” each new year, hurtled forward into a new era with post-holiday blues and a list of self-improvement areas as long as my sprawling grocery lists. So let’s go for it.
January is for new beginnings and clean slates and hot bowls of soups that make you feel glowing and warm from the inside out. This Detox Soup is one of my favorite ways to “reset” if I want to feel both nourished and cleansed. The recipe will adhere to all of your New Year Resolution criteria because it’s vegan, gluten free, and oil free. Have a bowl as a side or light meal to keep you healthy through all of your 2017 plans! It’s light, flavorful, and veggie-packed. I like to add in baked tofu chunks to mine for protein, but it’s delicious as is.
Nourishing Vegan Detox Soup
1. In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 c. of the veggie broth over medium
2. Next, add chopped white onion and garlic powder and sauté for about 5 minutes.
3. Next add in your vegetables– broccoli, white button mushrooms , carrot, and celery. Stir to combine and sauté 5 more minutes.
4. Next, add your spices- turmeric – cinnamon, and cayenne pepper (optional) and sauté until combined.
5. Next, add 5 cups of veggie broth. Bring mixture to a low boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until veggies are tender.
6. Within the last 5 minutes, add a giant handful of dark greens (I chose Swiss chard) and allow to wilt.
7. Remove from heat and add 1 TBS lemon juice and stir to combine. Season with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper. Serve by itself or with optional protein.
GF Ragu Stuffed Eggplant
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Kirchmaier