Irish Vegetable Boxty
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons + 1 cup water, divided
- 3 oz. (about 2/3 cup) potato pancake mix (I recommend Streit’s)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup shredded potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella
- 1/2 cup sautéed kale
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup sautéed onions
1. Whisk together flax meal and 3 tbs. water for “flax egg.” Set remaining water aside.
2. In separate bowl, combine potato pancake mix, cornstarch, and baking powder.
3. Slowly whisk in remaining 1 cup of water.
4. Add “flax egg,” apple cider vinegar, and shredded potatoes, combining well.
5. Heat 1/2 tbs. oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
6. Add half of potato mixture, spreading evenly into a pancake shape.
7. Spoon half of the cheese and veggies into the middle of the pancake.
8. Once the bottom has become crispy (about 5 minutes later), fold it in half as you would an omelette.
9. Flip over to cook on the other side for about 2-3 minutes.
10. Move onto plate and repeat process with remaining ingredients.
11. Serve with roasted veggies and a bit of non-dairy sour cream if desired.
Also by Quincy: Vegan Appetizer Recipes: Fried Okra
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas