Safe to say the answer is probably a resounding “NO” but…how many of us are aware of the numerous health benefits they provide?
Potatoes are rich in minerals such as potassium as well calcium, iron, and phosphorous. They are also high in vitamins especially C, but A and B as well.
The nutrients in potatoes like vitamin C, vitamin B and potassium help to relieve inflammations. Vitamin B, C and minerals, like phosphorus help nourish your skin.
In addition, minerals like zinc and phosphorus help to support healthy brain function. They contain a lot of water are easily digestible. Just don’t load on the unhealthy toppings or deep fry them!
These peppers can help to protect your heart from cardiovascular disease.
They are high sources of potassium. This mineral helps keep your fluids and minerals balanced in your body, enhancing muscle function and regulating blood pressure. Bell peppers also help regulate digestion and maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
A powerful antioxidant, which can help to protect the body against damaging free radicals.
Garlic is also a natural anti-biotic. It can help shorten the duration of your next cold or flu. Its antiviral and antibacterial properties as well as the vitamin C it carries , help in the healing process.
Garlic also assists in treating ulcers and in lowering blood pressure.
Garlic has been proven to lower LDL “bad” cholesterol and raise HDL “good” cholesterol levels. It is a good source of vitamin B6 and vitamin c which are crucial for skin, bones, and teeth. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant. Try my grilled potato salad recipe which is loaded with all of these very beneficial healthful ingredients!
Vegan GF Grilled Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs. Baby Red Potatoes
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 stalk Green Onion
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Veganaise
- 1 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- pinch Salt
1. Light charcoal. If the grill has a dial then turn up to a high heat. If not, simply allow the charcoal burn off until gray.
2. Boil water in a medium sized saucepan.
3. Half smaller potatoes and quarter the larger ones. Do not peel.
4. Add a pinch of salt to the water.
5. Place potatoes in water. The potatoes should be covered by at least an inch of water. Boil for about two 2- 3 minutes. You only want to start the cooking process, they should be very firm to the touch.
6. Remove from heat and drain.
7. (This step should be completed while potatoes are boiling) Slice the bell peppers. and green onions into approximately one inch sections. Thinly slice your two cloves of garlic. Place on a piece of silver foil.
If you don’t have a grill-
You can sauté the potatoes with the green onions, garlic and the peppers. Sauté the potatoes first on medium-low heat until you see the first hint of a light brown coloring along the edges, approximately 5 minutes or so. Then add your peppers, green onions, and garlic. They won’t have the flavor of a charcoal grill, but will still make one great potato salad!
8. Put the potatoes on the grill.
9. After about 2 minutes put the vegetable medley on the grill wrapped in silver foil.
Check the potatoes. It should take about 5 to 8 minutes depending on the heat. You want them cooked but not burnt.
10. Take potatoes and vegetable medley off grill.
11. Allow them to cool, at least 10 minutes.
12. In a large bowl add the potatoes then vegetables, olive oil, rice vinegar and the Veganaise.
13. Mix thoroughly.
14. Serve or refrigerate for future use.
• Yukon gold potatoes work really well too. I prefer the red for color and flavor. The key is the cooking/grilling. Don’t over or under cook. Simply stick a fork into a potato to check how firm it is. There should be some resistance, fluffy but firm.
• Place leftovers in the refrigerator, they are great the next day. Maybe even better if you like more intense seasoning- the flavors have time to infuse.
I really enjoy this recipe, the result is filling and very flavorful. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 🙂
Photo: Alex Kudukis