Vegan Mushroom Sticky Rice (Lo Mai Gai)
- 1 Onion
- 2 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 3 cups Glutinous Rice
- 2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 8 Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
- 4 sticks Bean Curd
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing Wine
- for garnish Cucumber
- to season Pepper
1. Soak the glutinous rice in water for 10 minutes.
2. Soak the mushrooms in hot, but not boiling, water. Prepare a different bowl and soak the beancurd in hot, non-boiling water.
3. Rinse the glutinous rice and set to cook. In the meantime, slice the mushroom and beancurd.
4. In a pot, add the cooking wine. Then add the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and sesame oil.
5. Add the mushrooms and beancurd.
6. Let it simmer for half an hour, until all of the sauce has been absorbed by the rice.
7. To serve: Fill a bowl, making sure to pack this tightly. Place a plate on top of the bowl and flip quickly. Remove the bowl—it should look as in the photo 🙂
Photo: Debbie Tan